TryWorks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Christmas Sanctuary

Go down

A Christmas Sanctuary Empty A Christmas Sanctuary

Post  TheGuardianGaheris Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:02 pm

During a frightful blizzard, a number of years ago, the youngsters of Kauai Academy were restless. Aiden and Crom found themselves sharpening their chess skills while Kiyoko wrestled with a puzzle. Gaheris played with a few strewn-about figurines, periodically peering over to Devenger, who sat staring outside by the bay window. Above the window sat a few silvery strands of garland, which twinkled crimson in the soft glow of the fire. Despite feeling the chill of the storm by the window, the golden curtains, which rained down around Devenger, trapped the heat from the afternoon sun long into the evening’s cold. Eden watched, mesmerized, while Yorick and Jachimo practiced their magic by the fireplace. After a few enchantments, the fire would roar further into the great stone fireplace which kept it at bay. Fortunate for the boys, Master Kauai was working in the east wing, far from hearing their mischief by the hearth.

Soon enough, the fury of the flurries was too uneventful for Devenger to keep his brooding to himself. Devenger’s eyes darted around the room: from the finely crafted three-legged table, which held the chess game, to the bookshelf behind Crom’s head. Devenger’s thoughts raced. No, nothing of interest here. Sweeping to the left, Devenger viewed the delicate, wooden figurines in front of Gaheris. There was a blob of wood, which Gaheris tried to whittle himself to be placed within the aged village toy scape once completed. This village would have taken an average man at least twelve years to finish in his spare time. The cathedral was the most impressive piece of the collection. This piece itself must have taken at least two years. Made out of solid cherry wood, the structure was at least a foot larger than the other buildings. The intricacy of the pillars, the gargoyles, and the Saints all around the building praised the work of the craftsmen. The expressions of the individual Saints were astounding. Though still this did not capture Devenger’s snooping eye, for he had reviewed this village several times over.

Further to the left, Devenger began to observe the great pine tree. A few days prior, Master Kauai rounded up the class and proceeded to venture off into the Eastern Woods. Unfortunately for the children, this expedition was not an overnight trip but lasted for several days. Out in the wilderness, the children hiked with their teacher and counselor until there came about a clearing. While looking out into this snow-covered scene, there grew a collection of strong evergreens. The children were thus released to pick out their sought out prize among the group of trees, for one of these would be chosen for this year’s festivities. This pine stood about seven and a half feet tall and three feet round. Fuller than most, this tree was to be carried back to the Academy for the wonderful Christmas celebration. Devenger remembered how he and his classmates gathered around the fire as soon as they returned to the Academy. Rather quickly, the Master called them to leave the warmth once more to decorate the great evergreen. Upon the tree, the children placed carved ornaments and glass bulbs of various colors. At that point, Master Kauai summoned his students away from the tree. With a few words, a casual spell, Kauai sparked the bulbs alive with light. Gasps of awe and wonder left the children’s mouths, as they had never seen something as beautiful as this tree. At last, their plight through the wilderness and suffering in the cold melted away as they basked in the glory that was Christmas.
Still no, even the Christmas tree was not enticing enough.

Even further to the left now, Devenger continued to visually race around the room. Jachimo and Yorick continued to summon explosions in the hearth. The clock above the mantle quietly chimed eight o’clock. Frantically now, for Master Kauai would return to retire the children to sleep soon, Devenger began to move towards the door. As he snuck by, a gust from an explosion moved something that caught his eye. Hanging from the ceiling, dangled a model biplane. With a shimmering grey coat of paint, faded in a few places around the wings, the plane swung round and round in a gentle sweeping motion. The insignias, on all four wings, showed a once vibrant blue color, with a large ‘K’. Devenger recognized this symbol from many of the books which now sat dormant on the Master’s shelves. In delicate black lettering, the side of the ship called out its name: the Sanctuary. Finally, something new had caught the eye of the nine year old child; he only need look up.

Feeling the urgency of the situation, he wandered over to the playing Gaheris. Gaheris was the tallest of the children at this point, which Devenger hoped to use to his advantage. Luckily, Gaheris had always been there to help his friends in any way he could. Devenger swooped in close, caught Gaheris’s eyes and slowly moved his eyes up towards the dangling biplane. Gaheris caught his intentions and began to stand up, hoping not to catch the other’s attention. Gaheris and Devenger moved to the place where the plane hung high. Jachimo, ever aware of his close friends’ movements, noticed the two of them gathering, but decided to not let on.

Gaheris ducked down, low enough for Devenger to climb upon his broadening shoulders. Cautiously, Gaheris lifted Devenger higher and higher. Devenger reached out; not nearly close enough to reach the plane. Gaheris stood taller, pushing himself to his maximum height. Jachimo, noticing their struggle, decided to help. Saying a few enchantments, Jachimo uttered, ‘Far flung, open the skies, Star of Zcar, streaks of awe, bring forth the light!” Out from his hand, a bolt of lightning shot towards the cord holding the plane. Overanxious to help, Jachimo acted quickly without a thought of how his friend may catch the plane. No longer held afloat by the ceiling, the plane descended towards the human pillar. Gaheris stumbled as Devenger crafted a way to catch it. Nimbly, Devenger dove off of his colleague and grasped the plane before it hit bottom. The cord, still charged with electricity, swung around the inside of the cockpit. Being made from metal, the charge moved out into Devenger, giving him a mighty shock. Of course by now, the entire class of seven viewed the fetal-positioned child, crumpled on the ground next to the broken plane. Regrettably, the propeller from the plane was jolted free during the calamity. What was worse? The damaged model on the floor or their curious classmate, stunned by lightning?

Gaheris immediately sprung for the door, desperately wanting his Master to awaken and bring healing to his brother. Bursting through to the east wing, Gaheris startled Kauai away from his studies. The Master instantaneously knew that something happened, for Gaheris acted desperate for help. This must be serious. Kauai hurried to the main hall. There rested Devenger on the floor, surrounded by his worried peers. Aiden had prompted Crom to return to the chess game, in the hopes that they would not be included in whatever punishment may come. Master Kauai knelt down near the boy, whispered a few words into his ear, and then summoned Eden to fetch some water. “He’ll be just fine, isn’t that right Kiyoko? He’ll be just fine.” While this had all been happening, Kiyoko had broken down in tears for fear of any harm that may have come to her fellow classmate. She did not wish harm on any creature.

Eden rushed back with a bowl of water and soft linen. Master Kauai dipped the linen into the water and stroked the marks on Devenger’s little arms. Once again, he uttered some unknown verse and gradually the marks began to dissolve. Devenger startled awake from the shooting pains through his left arm. The damage done was even more severe than Kauai initially thought. It appeared that Devenger had sustained some trauma to his arm during the fall, causing some discomfort for him. With his overactive mind, he could focus solely on this pain, enhancing it, and could faint again, but Kauai knew this could mean disaster for the boy. To take all of their minds off of the recent calamity, Kauai decided it was the perfect time to tell a story. Picking Devenger up, he moved him to one of the comfortable chairs, making sure to secure the left arm. Settling close by, Kauai called out, “Gather ‘round students, it’s time I tell you about my journey to Salisbury. Do any of you know where Salisbury is?” After a short pause, “No? It’s in a land, far away, past the Eastern Woods.

“When I was younger, I traveled eastward in search of the Matautu Osprey. In those days it was said to have been seen close to Salisbury, up on Mt. Eon. I started out one cold winter’s morning, not too unlike that which we’ve had of late. Onward I went through the dark, mysterious woods, until I came upon the village of Gojjam. Here, I walked into the local bookkeeper’s shop, hoping to hear of any news about the majestic Osprey. While I lingered there, a begging bard outside of the shop took interest in me. Where ever I went, he was sure to follow. He figured I was an outsider, travelling through on my way towards greater adventures. I originally thought he simply desired money, but man does not live by bread alone, remember. The man was looking for a way out, a way out of poverty and his life of begging. Maybe by seeking out the Osprey, he too could benefit.
“Back in that day, it was not too uncommon to travel alone, but the road which lay ahead of us was a long and treacherous one. I heard stories of the mighty questing birds which often killed any party not first plundered by the bands of thieves which ran rampant in those hills. Taytu, the begging bard, and I came upon a small gathering which wanted to embark through the pass to get to Salisbury. Despite the danger, the leader of the group was confident that she could direct us safely through the wilderness. After a few days of gathering new supplies and useful information, I set out again, but this time with some company.”

By this time the students had made themselves comfortable, gathered around their teacher’s feet, enthralled by the unfolding story. They had never heard any of his time in Salisbury, but they knew he spent many a year there.

“While traveling, Taytu entertained us by singing jolly little jingles and joyful tunes. In all actuality, Taytu was a rather talented bard. He told us many of the tales of Gojjam, and even some about the twilight of Wishaw, a darker legend:

“There once was town was plentiful o’ grain
It stood tween wood and the water of Culhane
The people were good and kindly to all
But this very nature would become their downfall

One frosty night a stranger came down,
He hailed from Assyr, a dangerous town
He was officially titled Lord Belhaven
But he was known as the Bloody Baron
With his soldiers he slew
Men, women and child
And their bodies he threw
Straight into the wild

O why! Ohoh why!
Why must men maketh pain?
O why! Ohoh why!
Why must there linger a dark red stain?

Now one lad survived, all bloodied albeit
And he staggered off deep into the wood
On his last dying breath he made a prayer
To the place where the great lady stood.

‘Oh Goddess, oh please
Our town has been taken
Our people are lost
By the devil Belhaven

Please give us chance
To take back what was taken
Grant us the strength
Allow us to awaken!’

O why! Ohoh why!
O why! Ohoh why!

At twilight, a moon drifted far above
the town Wishaw now reduced to ruin
The soldiers rejoiced at their horrific crimes
But from deep in the wood melodic chimes

It was the song of the goddess
which rang out from the forest
And the magic that followed
Could only be of the purest
The villagers revived
A town was reclaimed
And Belhaven’s men
Were all sent aflamed

O why! Ohoh why!
O why! Ohoh why!

The moral of this tale
Is cautionary at best
Beware of town that lies
Between lake and Forrest

O why! Ohoh why!
O why! Ohoh why!
Why must there linger a dark red stain?”

While Kauai sang deeply this chilling fable, the fire reduced to a quiet pile of embers, adding to the thrill in the children. His plan worked wonderfully—all of the children had forgotten the night’s frightful events.

Laughing loudly, “Ha, that Taytu picked a great time to tell the legend too. It was a dark and gloomy day as we walked through those thick woods, scared us silly. Unfortunately, the good times were short lived and our struggles were soon to begin. We continued down the Medb path, leading into the darkest part of the wilderness, the great Usnech gateway. Kuna, our leader, marched in the front with two large fellows; I’ve come to know them as Mac and Alaster. I think they retired to Fehnrir a few years ago—to this day they are as strong as they ever were.

“Kuna called us to stop moving, figured she heard something up ahead. She was quite the forester. She could hear a deer stirring two hundred yards away and catch up to it within fifteen minutes given a good day. Forward crept Mac, almost instantaneously as Kuna stopped the company. Something was ahead, and Mac was sent to find out what it was. To the troop’s misfortune, what was up ahead was far worse than they expected. After a few anxious minutes, Mac charged back through the woods to Alaster and Kuna, speaking too quietly for us to hear. Quickly now, Kuna rerouted our forward motion further north, instead of directly northeast, staying on the Medb path. To this day, I am not sure where or why Taytu had left the group, but the fact of the matter was that Taytu was no longer with us. I called forward to Kuna, but Alaster stopped me. If I was to talk to Kuna, I would have to speak through him. Alaster saw the seriousness of the situation, but Kuna felt that the individual’s safety did not outweigh the group. She pressed onward regrettably, but I could not bring myself to do so. I must go back for him. It was, after all, partly my fault that Taytu got involved with this group.

“Disappointed, I turn back, trudging along the path, passing the company I once called my own. No one was willing to accompany me. They were worried for Taytu, but they had no vested interest worth threatening their own lives over. Begrudgingly, I rushed back alone. As I approached the Usnech gateway where we started moving due north, I heard a loud screech. ‘CCRRRAAAAWWW!’ Underneath that noise I heard the faint sound of a human. Back to my left, I quickly started towards the sound, hoping I could make it in time to help. The damp leaves brushed past my arms as my legs plodded through the soggy earth. Suddenly out of the jungle, I came upon a clearing where a large mass of question birds huddled around. I could tell from the noises, that someone was in the midst of these demons and that person needed my help. I started shouting and calling the birds towards me. I rushed into their huddle and tried to scatter them as best I could. Initially, they were startled and began to move away, allowing for a quick glimpse. It was, it was indeed Taytu in their midst. I pulled out my sword and began swinging at the great beasts. I managed to hurt a few of them, and they scattered, but the larger, fiercer creatures charged at me as I charged at them. Remember kids, if I have taught you anything, think before you act. If I had given this a bit more thought and taken more prepared steps for this battle, I could have succeeded. But I was young and had no training. From here, the questing birds knocked me to the ground also and prepared to take flight. Taytu and I were goners.

“I have no recollection of the events that took place between then and how I got into the air, but I awoke to the sharp, cage-like talon of one of the birds all around me. I was at least five-hundred feet in the air. Let me tell you, I was afraid. I was not only afraid of that great height, but I was also afraid of what would happen when they finally brought us to their final destination. There was only legend surrounding the questing birds, never a survivor. Of course Taytu would say that he once met a woman who swore she made it back alive, but she was at most seventy-five years old, and losing her memory as it was. He rarely liked to mention that part, but sometime later in our adventure I finally got him to admit it. Anyway, where was I?”

Master Kauai got up from his chair, moved to the hearth to add a few more logs to the fire. He needed some more light to view the damage to the plane. The propeller had certainly fallen off, and the wings now made a rattling noise, but the ship was still sound. With a little care, the propeller would work again and the noise and dents could be worked out. As he moved closer to the damaged biplane on the ground, he continued his story.

“Oh right, there we were, five-hundred feet into the air and only some cage-like talons holding us up. The talons were our salvation, but would also bring us closer to our demise.” Kauai then picked up the plane, and started to swing it through the air, pretending it was flying. “Then children, I heard the true sound of salvation. ‘NNNEEAOOWWW’; the planes flew past. I could just make out two of the ship’s writing on the side, one listed ‘Deacon’ and the other plainly stated ‘Sanctuary’. Was this some sort of divine deliverance? I am not entirely sure what they were doing, but they certainly noticed the questing birds holding prisoners. Pretty soon the other planes created an attack formation and began shooting down the birds surrounding us. I could feel the air sizzling as the rounds whizzed by. Delicately, the pilots shot the birds which carried us perfectly, releasing the talons which held us captive. Unaware that the pilots had a plan, I began shouting as I made my descent to earth. I am not sure if I have ever shouted that loud ever since. But descending, I discovered one of the planes easing into me, accepting me as a passenger. From the pilot’s seat, a short-haired, athletic lady called back to me, ‘Welcome aboard the Sanctuary. We are glad you dropped in to see us.’ It was the start of a beautiful friendship. Fern saved my life that day. I foolishly tried to save Taytu, and in the end, through uncontrolled action and rash decision-making, I not only failed to save Taytu, but almost lost my life too. I shouted forward to Fern, asking about the safety of my friend. She pointed off to the right. There flew the ‘Deacon’, holding two passengers. From the back waved Taytu, just as he did the day I met him. Almost as if it did not faze him in the least, he kept on smiling and waving. He later said, ‘It was a great opportunity to write a new song.’ That was optimism shining through.

“We made our final descent just south of the next town. I had told Fern about the troop we were accompanying and our direction. She made sure to have us flown to the next town so that we could continue on our way with them. Old Hatfield and she were really very kind. They had no real obligation to take us all that way north, but they broke away from their fellow pilots to be sure that we landed safely and out of harms way. I’ll have to tell you more about those two later, for I did meet with them again. But this story is about the plane. After a few more adventures with Taytu and others, I ended up back here, where I founded this academy. Several years went by without hearing anything from Taytu. It was the first thaw of spring when I received a package. He had sent me this model plane, to remind me that I owed everything to that Sanctuary in the sky. That is why I keep it hanging always. With a little elbow grease, this plane will be flying again, just you wait and see. Just as you will be too, right Devenger?”

TheGuardianGaheris

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum